For Halloween this year, my team at work went as hipster Disney princesses, and I was a hipster Little Mermaid. I went all out with my costume – long red wig, suspenders, boots, thick glasses, fork … I mean, dinglehopper – and all I needed was the perfect manicure to go with it! I decided to embrace the mermaid look and go full-on scales. Read on to learn how to get a mermaid manicure yourself!
Although my costume was straight hipster, I really wanted to do a mermaid manicure. I never attempted the fish-scale manicure look over the summer, so this was my chance.
- Prep your nails with your favorite base coat.
- Apply 2-3 coats of a shimmery teal polish. I started with one coat of Essie’s Where’s My Chauffeur? (to make sure the color was opaque) and topped it with Butter London’s Henley Regatta, a pretty blue-green glitter.
- Let it dry completely.
- Take a silver Sharpie to carefully outline the scales.
- Wait a few minutes to let the marker set.
- Finish with your favorite top coat!
Voila! You might as well grow a tail of your own and dive right into the ocean. What do you think of this mermaid-inspired manicure?
Check out more great manicure tutorials: