This post is for you. I know you are going to treat your lady right and take her out to the fanciest restaurant you know. So here are a few tips to make the night run as smoothly as possible. It’s Valentine’s Day weekend, and now’s the time to pull out all the stops and really impress your date. (Ladies, you can benefit too!) Here’s what you need to know:
- Dress the part – You don’t need to rent a tux, but wear your nicest suit, wear a button down shirt and tie.
- Extra spoons and forks – Restaurants might have extra utensils that you don’t normally see everyday but because of Pre-fixe menues that have five courses, you will see a few extra spoons and forks at your place setting. Basically you work from the outside in. Here’s a quick video fo you if you want to learn more about all the different utensils you might see. But it’s no big deal if you use the wrong one — everyone does it — and your waiter will simply replace it with a new one.
- Napkin – Place your napkin in your lap. If you are going to the bathroom, place your napkin on your chair: this signals your waiter that you are not finished with your food. If you are finished with your meal, place your napkin on the table if you are stepping away from the table.
- Eating – Gentlemen, you’re not in a bar. Small bites of food will make your meal last longer and allow you to hold a conversation with your date.
- Courteous – Don’t only be nice to your date, but be nice to anyone that waits on your table.
- Tipping – It is custom to tip 18-20%.
- End of the night – Help your date put her coat on, open doors for her, walk her to her house.
It’s as simple as that, good luck and have a great date!
Eat Well and Adventure On,