As posting pictures and tutorials of weekly manicures has become an internet sensation across Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, and Pinterest, I’ve decided to make it a weekly addition to the Collabor-eight!
I have been a manicure enthusiast since I can remember – honestly. I remember sitting around watching my mom paint her nails in absolute awe of how beautifully long her nails were and how she could effortlessly switch from using her right hand to her left hand. ”Practice,” she explained. Years and years later (okay, I’m not that old), my friends now tell me how talented I am when it comes to a bottle of OPI.
And I’ve never been one to go get my nails done, either. I think I got them professionally done for junior prom. But why pay someone for something I can do myself? So because of my slight obsession and my years of practice, all posted Mani Mondays will be my work on my nails!
This week, I was tempted to try a tutorial posted on The Beauty Department, Lauren Conrad’s fairly new beauty blog (which, if you don’t read, you totally should). This week, I’ve attempted – and conquered – DIY nail stickers.
Looks like it takes skill? Not really. Just time. Here’s how to do it in a few easy steps.
- Before you start, choose your colors. One base, three accents. I like to keep it as close to the real tutorial as possible the first time I try out a new technique so if something goes wrong, I know it’s my own fault.
- With your accent colors, paint thick stripes of color across regular scotch tape and let dry for at least 30 minutes. For accent colors, I used OPI’s Pink Friday, Did It On ‘Em, and Fly, all from the Nicki Minaj collection.
- Paint your nails any color. I used Sally Hansen’s Maximum Growth polish in Pure White Tip.
- Once your painted tape is dry, cut out any shapes you want! Again, I kept it to the tutorial.
- Finish with your favorite top coat!
What do you think? Will you try to make your own nail stickers?